I wish I was clever enough to come up with this idea. It is so simple and so awesome. Everyone loves a good grilled cheese sandwich and this one cranks it up a notch. Next time you make some mac and cheese, save about a cup for left overs to make this. You can use homemade mac and cheese, Kraft Dinner, etc... It really doesn't matter.
I have to thank Pinterest for this idea. Unfortunately, I lost the link to the blog that I got the idea from and I couldn't find it again by searching for it. I wish I could give credit to the person who came up with this.
If you want to raise the bar even higher, you can add a little truffle oil and bacon bits to your mac and cheese. It adds more flavour.
Grilled Truffle Mac and Cheese Sandwiches with Bacon
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Bread, (buttered)
- About one cup of leftover Mac and Cheese (heated) per sandwich
- Grated cheese.
- 1/2 tsp of truffle oil added to the mac and cheese (optional)
- 2 - 4 TBSP of bacon bits added to the mac and cheese (optional, but highly recommended)
- Butter some bread and put a piece of bread down in a frying pan
- Add a little bit of grated cheese
- Add about a cup of mac and cheese mixture to the bread,
- Add another layer of grated cheese
- Put the final piece of buttered bread on top and grill until browned on both sides