Saturday, November 19, 2011

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies



What is better than chocolate chip cookies? Double chocolate chip cookies!


This recipe is courtesy of the Cake Boss himself, Buddy Valastro. I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of the show, but I do watch it from time to time. I was recently walking through a grocery store and saw a book of his and after browsing through it, I decided to buy it based on partly the recipes, but more because of the in depth explanations of techniques and photos. This book has many great baking tips. It would be a great book for a beginner, or a refresher for a veteran baker. While a good majority of the book is based on cakes, there are lots of great recipes for cookies, brownies, pastries, etc...


The book is called, "Baking with the Cake Boss: 100 of Buddy's Best Recipes and Decorating Secrets" and you can buy the book here. Check it out. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

________________________________________________________________________________


Double Chocolate Chip Cookies


1 cup Butter
1 cup  Sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar (packed)
1 Egg
1/3 cup Cocoa
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 tbsp. Milk
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1 3/4 cups Flour
1 cup White Chocolate Chips (or 1 pkg. of white chocolate chips)




- Beat together the butter, white and brown sugar.
- Add the egg, cocoa and vanilla and beat together until it looks like chocolate frosting.
- Combine the baking powder and flour. Add a little bit at a time.
- Roll into meatball sized balls and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 for 12 -15 minutes.


Yield: 24 cookies
________________________________________________________________________________
This isn't exactly how it was written in the book. I took some liberties with this recipe. 


First off, I used white chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet. I chose white chocolate chips for 2 reasons: I love the taste of white chocolate and I thought the finished cookie would look better being dark a cookie with white chips. The recipe called for 1 cup of chips, but after measuring there was only a little bit left so I threw them all in.


Surprisingly, the recipe doesn't call for salt. I don't think adding a tsp. of salt would hurt, although I didn't do it.


He says to bake them at 325 for 12-15 mins. This makes a soft cookie in my oven both times I made them. Next time I'll be baking them for 15-17 mins, although he talks at length about not cooking them for anymore than 15 mins.


Using a good quality cocoa makes a big difference in these cookies. I used some cocoa that was bought for me by some friends while they were visiting in Mexico. Use whatever you have, but if you can get some good stuff, you will definitely notice a difference.


I found once the cookies came out of the oven, they were very fragile. Maybe because I didn't bake them that long. I damaged a few trying to get them from the cookie sheet to the cooling rack. I had to let them sit on the cookie sheet longer than usual, which is fine. Using a metal spatula would be easier than the bigger plastic one that I have.


Good luck. I hope you like them as much as I do.



1 comment:

  1. definitely a keeper recipe. I will be making them again

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...