Thursday, March 3, 2011

South St. Burger Company Review - Cross Iron Mills



As a regular listener of the Fan 960 sports radio station here in Calgary, and a guy who genuinely likes to shop, having a place voted the "Best Burger in Calgary" inside a brand new outlet mall seemed like an easy choice. I have been to Cross Iron Mills before and every time I walked past South St. Burger Company  I said "I'll go next time." Since the last time I had been here, the listeners of the Fan 960 voted it the best burger in the city which cemented the "I'll go next time," line, in stone. This place has been open for just about a year so maybe people like a new kid in town when it comes to burgers.


I was there at 5:00pm on a Saturday. The mall was packed and so was South Street. I kept it simple and ordered the hamburger combo and paid extra for cheese. South St serves New York Fries as their side. Kind of a nice touch. The beef is not frozen and is cooked to order. This seems to be getting trendy as Wendy's advertises this.

 It kind of works cafeteria style. You order and pay, then slide your tray down the line where you have a choice between a white and a whole wheat bun. Then they dress the bun while the burger cooks with your choice of their toppings.


Given how busy it was, it didn't take too long for the burger to be ready. I went with a whole wheat bun, blue cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, ketchup, mustard and relish.

 The burger was really good. The bun was awesome. It was definitely the best part of the burger. Probably the best burger bun I ever had. It was very soft and tasty. All in all, in my opinion, this is definitely not the best burger I ever had in Calgary, but having said that, for a place that is kind of like a fast food joint, it buries any of their competition. I can see myself grabbing a burger here every time I at that mall and it is definitely worth checking out, but it's not the best burger in Calgary. Burger (with cheese), fries and a drink came to $10.50.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...