Thursday, February 3, 2011

Restaurant Review - Rocky Mountain Flatbread Co.

I unsuccessfully drove around Canmore a few times looking for this place that my friend Deanna told me about that has great flatbread pizzas. She didn't know the name, but Canmore isn't that big, right? This time, on my way home from a great night in Panorama, BC, I did some research and found out the name and address.


Rocky Mountain Flatbread Co. appears to specialize in flatbread pizza, pasta, salads and soups. They focus on being organic and local as much as possible.


The vibe in the place is good. Your eyes immediately are attracted to the wood fire oven and the smell that it produces, as well as the colours and feel of the place, create a pleasing vibe.


The service was a little slow. It was mid afternoon on a Sunday and it was before any kind of dinner rush, but I think it was just the server might have been slightly inexperienced, although very friendly. Like most restaurants in the mountains, the servers are young kids from all over the world working just enough to pay for their skiing habits.


On to the food.  For a drink, without looking at the menu, I ordered a glass of iced tea. After looking at the menu, turns out the iced tea was organic tea that was sweetened with maple syrup. Lucky guess for me! While I was tempted for a big bowl of pasta I decided to stick to their speciality and get a pizza. I ordered the Apple Chicken Harvest. It had a tomato sauce, chicken and granny smith apples, onions, topped with cheese, pesto and cherry tomatoes. I was a little curious about apples on a pizza. It wasn't terrible by any means, but didn't really enhance the pizza. The pizza overall was good. I ate the whole thing without any problems, but it didn't knock my socks off. My next trip there, I'm going to go with a more tradtional pizza. That's right, I'd definitely go back.



Next time you spend a day skiing at Louise or Sunshine, avoid the mid afternoon cafeteria food and stop in Canmore for some gourmet wood fire pizza. It would be nice to be there with a group and order a bunch of different flavours and taste them all. My pizza and iced tea came to $13.50. Very reasonable considering that you are getting organic wood fired pizza that you would pay the same price for factory pizza, from a chain a few blocks down the road. Rocky Mountain Flatbread Co. definitely offers great value for your money.

2 comments:

  1. I was at Norquay last weekend and this was the pizza served in the caf. I have to say it was pretty darn good. Had a slice of "the works" but the veggie looked real good too! Much "flatter" than your picture looks too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...