Every now and again, a person just has to indulge. These little guilty pleasures will have you saying, "It was worth it."
Are they good for you? Nope. Healthy? Not even a little bit. Are they delicious? You can bet your bottom dollar on that one.
They are really quite simple to make and only have 4 ingredients. I have to give a shout out to my friend and fellow blogger Michelle from Baking in the Burg. I got the recipe from her blog and tweaked it a little bit.
Butterscotch Marshmallow Squares
(adapted from Baking in the Burg recipe)
1 Cup Peanut Butter
1/2 Cup Butter
1 Bag Butterscotch Chips
1 Bag of Multi-Coloured Marshmallows
- Put the bag of marshmallows in the freezer about an hour before you start to make this. You can just store them in the freezer so they will be ready to go.
- In a pot on medium heat, melt the peanut butter, butter and butterscotch chips on medium/low heat. Stir it fairly constantly to remove lumps and keep it from burning.
- VERY IMPORTANT - You have to let the mixture cool down before you can add the marshmallows. I let it cool for about 20 minutes, but you could even let go for 30 minutes. You must be patient here. If you add the marshmallows too early, they will melt. The other thing that will happen is the butterscotch sauce will sink to the bottom and the marshmallows will rise to the top. It looks weird.
- While you are waiting for the mixture to cool, line a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper, or wax paper. Lining the pan will make your life much easier when it comes time to remove the squares.
- Once the mixture has cooled enough, add the bag of marshmallows to the pot and stir them into the mixture until they are evenly dispersed.
- Pour the mixture in the parchment lined pan and spread them out evenly. Immediately put the pan in the freezer. After about an hour or two, remove the pan from the freezer and take the squares out. Cut them into 2 inch squares.
- Put the squares in a tupperware container and keep them in the freezer. It is best to store these in the freezer for several reasons. The taste delicious when eating them cold and it keeps them fresh for a longer period of time.