Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Newfie Benedict



It was my birthday recently and I was lucky enough to spend it with some friends in Banff. We rented a chalet and spent the night in the mountains cooking a 7 course meal, drinking some great wine, hot tubbing, listening to music, etc... It was the perfect way to celebrate turning another year older.


Eggs Benedict is my favourite breakfast meal. In my mind, it is perfect - well almost perfect. For breakfast in the mountains, I decided to make everyone something I have been thinking about for a while. It is an east coast twist on a classic. I call it Newfie Benedict. Traditional eggs benedict is made with an English muffin, back bacon, a poached egg and hollandaise sauce. The difference is that my Newfie Benedict is made using a Belgian Waffle and fried bologna.


On the east coast of Canada, fried bologna is referred to as "Newfoundland Steak." Bologna, pan fried in a little bit of butter served with mashed potatoes and some ketchup on the side for supper is an east coast staple. Don't knock it until you try it.


I thought trying the fried bologna on Eggs Benedict would be a nice change. I was right, it was awesome. Not as awesome as the waffle was though. Everyone loved the English muffin for a waffle swap. 
__________________________________________________________________________
NEWFIE BENEDICT
There is no recipe, it's just 4 ingredients:
- Waffle
- Eggs
- Bologna (pan fried)
- Hollandaise Sauce


WAFFLE
I bought my waffle iron from Walmart for $10. I bet it does just as good a job as the waffle irons that cost $100. I used this recipe for the waffles. If you don't have a waffle iron, use an Eggo. Who cares!?!?
BOLOGNA
When you go to buy your bologna, don't buy the pre-sliced packaged stuff. Buy it from behind the deli counter. Tell them to slice it about 1/4 inch thick. If they don't have it, buy a loaf of it and cut it yourself. The pre-sliced stuff is way too thin.
EGGS
I LOVE poached eggs. My preference is the softer, the better. If you don't like poaching eggs, cook them to your preference. Scrambled eggs would be awesome on this!
HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
Hollandaise sauce can be a little tricky to make. It is fairly labour intensive. I've done it many times, but I suggest buying a package of the powdered stuff. It's much easier and fool proof.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...